Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Last Day in England

Scenes on the public path to Great Missenden.

The writing on the buildings is for Roald Dahl's Museum.

The village of Great Missenden.


Dottie and her sister, Alex.

Tuesday, September 5th.
School starts today back in Canada and I'm not there. Kind of surreal. I hope all my educator friends have a good and successful year.

Today was another getting organized day. It was raining out which made it easier to stay put. I gathered up all the documents I need that Denise had been sending and had John print them. Then I sorted them out and made sure I have what I need for the next few months.

In the late afternoon, John and I went for a walk into the village of Great Missenden. This is where Roald Dahl lived and there is a museum here dedicated to him and his works. We ordered a Thai take out from a restaurant and had a pint in the Cross Keys pub next door. Dottie's sister, Alex, came down and picked us up and then we all went back and enjoyed dinner. I was supposed to meet Alex and her son last time I was in England, but unfortunately John misread the dates I was there until and arranged for the dinner to be the night after I left. So it was nice to meet her. Unfortunately both her son and her mom were sick with a bad cold and couldn't make it.

After they left John and I watched a bit of a TV show about a local train in Nepal, which illustrated the poverty there and the desperation of the people to get work abroad and a show about horses during the war. The fact that stuck out with me was that there were a 140000 horses (and I think that is only from Australia) used in the First World War and none of them went home, they were all shot.

1 comment: